Sunday, December 19, 2010

August/September



Summer in Maine was about to come to an end as I was visited by two friends, Karen and Tricia. The three of us just happened to find ourselves in Japan at the same time years ago. We played the part of typical tourist for much of the week, giving me the opportunity to visit places I have never been in Maine. We visited Boothbay Harbor, Bath, Reid State Park, Wilton’s Blueberry Festival, and took a ferry to Peaks Island where we rode bikes around the island. The timing of their trip couldn’t have been better. I was still in the process of dealing with the death of Kumiko. As she was an influence on each of us in different ways, we spent part of the visit sharing stories of this incredible lady and how she touched our lives.

The end of summer, I became friends with Nook. Nook is related to one of my neighbors and we met while I was walking Gilmore. Nook enjoys riding his bike around town and we began riding bikes together. On our rides I have been introduced to parts of Jay that I didn’t know existed. There is a white rock granite quarry, an apple orchard park, and several beautiful scenic roads. I have also been inspired to get a new bicycle; mine was stolen before I left Tennessee.

Fall brought the change in the color of the leaves and a trip on the lake courtesy of my friend Jon. Flagstaff Lake is located at the foot of Bigelow Mountain and is the choppiest lake I have ever seen. This was also Gilmore’s introduction to riding in a boat. We made our way around the lake making a stop on an island and visiting a portion of the Appalachian Trail.
This trip inspired me to make a list of all the hiking trails located in my area and begin visiting each of them on my days off. Gilmore and I have covered a lot of ground on the trails this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment